Monthly Program Updates
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Making Changes in the New Year
The beginning of the year is a great opportunity to reflect on the past year while considering making a positive change in the upcoming year. Here are some helpful ways to make simple behavioral changes more successful:
- Set aside time to reflect on the past year, identify an area of your life that is important to you and what you want to change about it. Commit to a specific behavioral change that reflects your values (e.g., health, family, career, finances, etc.).
- Keep your behavioral goal as simple and realistic as possible (e.g., lose a few pounds, exercise more often, spend more time with your children, save or earn more money).
- Have a plan to achieve your goals (e.g., try to walk 20 minutes, three days a week).
- Receive support (e.g., tell someone about your commitment to change, ask for help with your goal to make you more accountable to it).
- Don’t give up! You will fall short at times, but the most important thing is to stick with your plan!
For information and resources about making positive changes in your life, contact your EAP coordinator at coordinator listing or call 1-800-822-0244.
Pre-Retirement Planning Information
NYS Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP)
After I retire, will I be told of changes and receive news about my health insurance?
NYSHIP publications, such as Empire Plan Reports or NYSHIP HMO Reports, as well as other important benefit information, are mailed directly to retiree homes. Important information and changes are often contained in these reports. The Employee Benefits Division (EBD) also mails enrollees option transfer materials including premium rates and Health Insurance Choices (to change your health insurance plan) and other special announcements.
Although EBD mails option transfer materials in the fall when the next year’s premium rates are announced, retirees can change options at any time, as long as it is only once during a 12-month period. To receive NYSHIP mailings, be sure they have your current address and notify EBD at 1-800-833-4344, of any changes that affect your enrollment records.
EBD also posts employee benefit information, announcements, meetings, and option transfer details on their NYSHIP website at: www.cs.ny.gov
For additional Health Insurance information, go to the Self-Help Guide to Pre-Retirement Planning, Chapter 10 at: Self-Help Guide
For Pre-Retirement Planning information, go to: DIRECTIONS: Pre-Retirement Planning Information.
NYS Network Child Care Center Highlight
This month we are spotlighting The Children’s Place at the Plaza in Albany.
The Children’s Place at the Plaza began offering child care in 1979. The Center is a high-quality educational program that provides safe and attentive care to children in an atmosphere where they can grow and learn at their own pace. The Center services children and families of State employees and the community at large. Located on the Empire State Plaza in Albany, the Center has a long-standing reputation of excellence in early childhood education in the Capital District.
The Center provides developmentally appropriate programs for young children led by a dedicated and experienced staff with credentials in early childhood education. A state-of-the-art playground is available for active outdoor play daily.
Some quick facts about The Children’s Place at the Plaza:
- The Center is open year-around, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- The program offers care for infants, toddlers, preschool, and UPK for a total of 126 children.
- The Center provides breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack with a focus on healthy, whole grains, and natural foods.
For additional information, please contact the Children’s Place at the Plaza at: [email protected] or call the Center at: (518) 473-7112. Visit the Center’s website at: www.childrensplaceattheplaza.org.